Claiming compensation when you slip, trip or fall

If you slip, trip or fall and suffer an injury in a public or private place and it is some one else's fault, you may be able to claim common law damages for the economic loss you experience, such as loss of wages and medical expenses. To claim common law damages for the  pain and suffering you have and will experience, you must be able to prove not only that you were injured as a result of some one else's negligence, you must also have a "significant injury." A "significant injury" is a Whole Person Impairment of 5% or more for spinal injuries, 6 % or more for physical injuries other than spinal injuries and 10% or more for Psychiatric injuries. Whole Person Impairment is assessed under the Americal Medical Association Guides, 4th edition. For adults in Victoria, there is generally a three year time limit within which to make a common law claim of this kind. To find out how the time limit applies in a particular case it is important to get legal advice as soon as possible. Another reason for getting legal advice as soon as possible is to document what happened at an early stage while events are fresh in your mind and so that you know what your rights are from the start. If you have suffered an injury as a result of a slip, trip or fall and you would like to know if you have an entitlement to common law damages call us on 9775 1371 or email Penny at: first appointment is free and without obligation and you can talk to us about our no-win no-fee cost arrangement.